Movies, Sports, and Life


The Happening

"Ahhh who farted?"




If you haven't heard M. Night Shyamalan has a new movie coming out called The Happening, starting Mark Wahlberg. Wahlberg plays a high school science teacher who takes his family on a run with a neuro-toxin is released in the U.S. causing people to do weird crazy things.

Apparently, this movie is getting absolutely killed by critics and reviewers. Everyone has been waiting for M. Night Shyamalan to step up to the plate and deliver another home run movie, such as Six Sense. Maybe give himself a chance to actually redeem his directing resume. In his defense, I was a huge fan of The Village. Everyone I know didn't like it at all and thought the big 'twist' was stupid. However, I thought it was a creative and cool idea. But I must admit his other movies, particularly Lady in the Water and Signs were really bad. Here is what one movie critic wrote of the movie:


"The Happening" is a terrible, terrible movie. I mean, it's bad on an epic scale. It's so bad that I can't possibly tell you how bad it is without understating the point or making it sound like I'm picking on the film...

The most obvious fault in "The Happening" is the acting -- in particular Wahlberg's performance. I'm saying this with no hyperbole, but Wahlberg might very well give the worst performance I've ever seen in anything. He's that bad. His character is a passive aggressive high-school teacher and each line in delivered with nasally whines that sound like some strange parody. As bad as the rest of the movie is, Wahlberg is the part that the internet is going to eat alive. But is it really his fault? Wahlberg's proven himself with "I (Heart) Huckabees" and his amazing turn in "The Departed". I can't help but feel that Shyamalan -- intentionally or otherwise -- is ultimately to blame for forcing some truly awful line readings.
If you want to read more of the review click here. However, let me warn you there are some major plot spoilers in it. Below is a preview of the movie. I agree Mark Wahlberg's performance from this trailer seems horrible.





Labels:

0 Responses to “The Happening”

Post a Comment



© 2008 lil dunn